New Hampshire Landscape
In 1775, the frame of the Meetinghouse was raised, the first important civic event in Jaffrey’s history. Tradition has it that the raising occurred on the day of the Battle of Bunker Hill (June 17th) and that the sounds of the Charlestown cannonade could be heard by those toiling on the Common. The builder/contractor was Captain Samuel Adams, twenty-four years of age and then of Rindge, assisted by his brother-in-law, Jeremiah Spofford. In 1822, the bell tower and spire were added, paid for by donations on the condition that the Town would buy the bell, which it did the following year. It was cast by the Paul Revere Foundry. At the same time, the building was painted and new clapboards were installed.
Another view that never gets old
The Sawyers Crossing Covered Bridge, also known as the Cresson Bridge, is a wooden covered bridge carrying Sawyers Crossing Road over the Ashuelot River in northern Swanzey, New Hampshire. It is a two-span Town truss construction, resting on abutments and a central pier made of split granite. It was built in 1859 to replace a bridge built in 1771. It is 117 feet (36 m) long and 17 feet (5.2 m) wide.
The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
From a previous year! We have no snow and none in the forecast as of yet.